Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Love God and love people

At the end of August 17th Sunday service Pastor Mark gave us a challenge, to for the next 4 weeks love God and love people, just as God commanded us to do in Matthew 22:36-40.
While we had communion God said to me go and look at the scripture when Jesus washed the disciples feet.  My first thought was can you just imagine how dirty their feet must have been, and what kind of dirt did Jesus had to wash off.

Then when i started to read John 13:1-17, I realized it is not about dirty feet but Jesus showing His love to His disciples.  The first verse just stood out, "Having loved His own who were in the world, He now showed them the full extend of His love." 
Jesus humbled Himself and took on a servants job to wash the disciples feet.  I can just imagine how surprised the first disciple must have been, maybe so much so that he could not say a word and object, and maybe none of them said anything because they did not know what to say.  Jesus was not suppose to wash their feet but rather one of them should've washed His.

Peter tried to object and wash Jesus's feet, but Jesus said to Peter "unless I wash you, you have no part of me." (John 13:8)  Then Peter being Peter wanted everything Jesus will give him, asked that Jesus would wash his hands and head as well but Jesus answered:  "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean.  And you are clean.  "...

As soon as Jesus finished washing their feet He asked them "Do you understand what I have done for you?" (John 13:12b)  Jesus was willing to humble Himself to take on a servants job so that the disciples would know how much He loves them, Jesus also asks us to do the same.

"Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should was one anothers feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

No comments: